The MakerLab at England Run
The Central Rappahannock Regional Library is dedicated to featuring new and inspiring technologies for the community. For the past year we have been demonstrating 3-D printing with our Mobile MakerLab. The library can offer much more now that a permanent MakerLab has been set up at our England Run Branch.
Thanks to a generous partnership with the University of Mary Washington, library staff and university students are able to teach customers of all ages about aspects of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) through demonstrations and hands-on activities.
Our rotating assortment of activities includes:
- 3-D Printer - Witness how 3-D models can be designed, sliced, and printed out!
- Leap Motion - Control a computer with simple hand motions using this sensor bar!
- Squishy Circuits - Explore circuitry using Play-Doh!
- Little Bits - Snap together these tiny circuit boards easily!
- Rocket Launcher - Create paper rockets in the MakerLab and launch them outside!
- Wind Tube - Test simple aircraft made out of paper plates, cups, pipe cleaners and more!
- Makey Makey - Control a computer using Play-Doh or anything that conducts electricity!
- Robot Arms - Use remote-controlled arms that can pick up and move small objects.
- Goldie Blox - This toy series inspires girls to create their own engineering projects!
- Discover Electronics Kit - A circuitry board for experienced tinkerers.
- Environmental Science Kit including a digital microscope
Though the 3-D printer is demonstration-only, all other activities are hands-on. There are 2-4 activities available for view or use during any given MakerLab session.
The England Run MakerLab schedule through the end of August is:
Tuesdays 2:00-4:00 (starting June 10)
Saturdays (except July 5) 2:00-4:00 (starting May 24)
The schedule is subject to change. Please feel free to call the England Run Branch at 540-899-1703 to confirm ahead of time.
If you have any questions about the England Run MakerLab or would like to schedule a group visit, please contact Joy McIntire by e-mail (email@example.com) or call the England Run Branch.