Explore new worlds with us! This month is all about discovery. From science to science fiction, the stories are endless! Join us for celestial events as we celebrate the solar eclipse and more!
Join us on Monday, August 21, for the 2017 solar eclipse! Activities that may be offered at one or more of our branches are building your own viewer, listening to folktales about the sun, crafts, live video streaming, and safe observing with certified viewing glasses (while supplies last). If you are interested in viewing glasses for home use, here is a list of reputable vendors. Get safe observing tips from NASA in English/Espanol!
- Porter Branch, 1:00–4:00
- Snow Branch, 1:30–3:30
- Salem Church Branch, 1:30–3:30
- England Run Branch, 2:00–3:00
Sunsational Eclipse on the Beach
Cooper Branch, Monday, August 21, 1:30–3:00
Celebrate the solar eclipse on the beach! Bring your beach blanket and a lunch. You may also bring a memento for our time capsule, which will be buried after the solar eclipse at 3:00, and dug up on the next solar eclipse, April 8, 2024. Safety glasses to view the eclipse and some out of this world snacks provided. Sign up for safety glasses.
Tales as Old as the Sun
Headquarters Library, Monday, August 21, 2:15–3:00
Patawomeck storyteller Johnny Mac Chinn tells tales leading up to the peak of the eclipse. Afterward, we’ll enjoy traditional Patawomeck music.
DIY Solar Eclipse Viewer
Snow Branch, Saturday, August 5, 10:00–12:00
Learn what happens during a solar eclipse and how to build a viewer to safely view it. Presented in Spanish and English. Grades 3 and up.
- CRRL Grow a Reader: Robot Reads!
- CRRL Grow a Reader: Weather
- CRRL Kids: The Aliens Have Landed!
- CRRL Kids: Picture Books for the Young Scientist
- CRRL Teens: Explore New Worlds
- CRRL Teens: SF, Fantasy, and Heroic Graphic Novels
- CRRL My Librarian: Armchair Time Travel
- CRRL My Librarian: Infinite Futures: Classic Science Fiction for Adults
- CRRL Picks: "Lovecraftian" Horror
Badge Mission alert!
Starting August 1, you can earn this digital badge by completing the Explore New Worlds mission in Summer Reading!
Image Credits: NASA