Dear Library Users,
On behalf of the Library Board, the Friends of the Library and the library staff, thank you all for your support over the past budget season. The good news is that, despite the current economy, the CRRL did receive additional funds in FY10-11. The challenge is that we did not receive enough money to fully staff and operate all our libraries.
This means that, starting July 1, we will have to take the following steps:
- Headquarters and Porter will be closed on Sundays.
- Headquarters will be closed on Thursday evenings and Porter will be closed on Tuesday evenings.
- The England Run Library will open on October 4.
- Programs for children, teens and adults will be reduced.
- Outreach to schools, including booktalks, SOL-related storytelling and database presentations, will be severely reduced.
- Reduced staffing may result in longer waits for materials placed on hold and for books to be returned to the shelves.
- Staff will not receive any salary increase for the third year in a row.
We do appreciate the one-time funding that will increase our book-buying capacity in the coming year. However, the materials budget remains substantially below recommended levels.
Over the last several months, you made your voices heard.
- You sent almost 3,000 postcards to your elected officials stating why the library is important to you.
- You spoke up for the library at supervisors’ town meetings, public hearings and meetings of county boards and city council.
- You sent letters to the editor of the Free Lance-Star expressing your support for the library as homeschoolers, business owners, students and impassioned readers.
The library is especially appreciative of the effort made by the Friends of the Library to help library users make their opinions known. Whether distributing postcards, selling T-shirts, or speaking up in public forums, our Friends did a magnificent job.
The Library Board and administration are committed to continuing to provide high quality library services with an emphasis on excellent customer service despite the budget shortfall. Rest assured that our commitment to providing access to all our users remains firm. Thank you for your support.