- Rebecca Purdy
Who among us hasn't dreamt about finding treasure, whether as a child digging in the sand or an adult hiking through the woods? Now anyone can thanks to modern technology and enthusiastic hobbiests around the world! Geocaching is a modern day, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS enabled devices.
The library has partnered with the Stafford 350th Anniversary Committee and the Fredericksburg Geocachers to create The Stafford 350 Geocaching Trail! This is a fun, exciting and inexpensive way for families to enjoy a beautiful weekend exploring Stafford County.
- Print the coordinates for each of the ten Trail caches below or upload them to your device at CRRLCache's page on geocaching.com.
- Take a Stafford Trailblazers booklet picked up at your closest library branch or a Stafford tourism site OR a blank piece of paper OR print page 14 of the booklet. Don't forget something to write with!
- Be sure to dress appropriately and follow the safety tips (see pages 3-4 of the Stafford Trailblazers booklet.)
- Venture to each location and find the cache. If you have time, look for some other caches; many locations have mulitiple geocaches.
- Grab some swag out of the box and write down the code word that is found either inside or on the back of the cache.
- Once you've found all ten caches, organize the codewords into a complete sentence.
- Bring the sentence to the Children's Desk at your nearest library branch and receive a prize. If you're not from the area or can't make it to the branch, please mail the completed sentence and your return address to: Headquarters Youth Services, 1201 Caroline St., Fredericksburg, VA 22401
New to geocaching? Geocaching.com offers great tips and videos in the Learn section. Create a free account and you can download the Geocaching.com app to your smartphone to make it even easier to follow the trail. Don't worry if you don't have a GPS or a smart phone with GPS capabilities. The library offers Geocaching Kits available for a 2-week checkout. Inside you'll find a GPS and a great guidebook, The Geocaching Handbook: The Guide for Family Friendly, High-tech Treasure Hunting (also available for individual checkout and as an eBook.)
The Stafford 350 Geocaching Trail
Click here for the coordinates and other information about the caches.