Darcy Jones has been bouncing from foster home to foster home around Chicago for most of her short life. She remembers nothing from her early childhood. She has finally managed to spend more than a year with a foster parent and finally has some friends at her high school.
Little does Darcy know that there is an alternate world just like this one as well as an alternate Chicago. But in that world, the Great Chicago Fire never happened. In that world, The Shadow Society remains a deadly threat.
When a mysterious new boy at school, Conn McCrea, captures Darcy’s attention... her heart soon follows. She is about to find out though that Conn is from that alternate world, and so is she.
The Fredericksburg Area Museum and Cultural Center is preparing for a new exhibition, "Fredericksburg Remembers 9/11," to commemorate the ten year anniversary of the terror attacks of September 11, 2001. The museum wants to partner with our community and is asking you to share your memories.
The exhibit will focus on these themes:
- first responders at the Pentagon or World Trade Center
- anyone who was an eyewitness to the attacks
- airline pilots who were on duty/flying that day
- local citizens and their experiences at school, work, or home as the events of the day unfolded
- aftermath stories
- the Muslim members of our community and what their experiences have been as they relate to the day of the attacks and the months and years following
- how far we have come in the ten years since the attacks and how our every day lives have changed - for example stricter airport security and our involvement in wars overseas
Do you have stories, original objects, and images you might consider sharing?
Sam Wilson is 14 years old, lives in New York City, and is a computer genius. It is not unusual for Sam and his friends to hack into computer systems and fool around. In fact, computer gaming and use has reached a whole new level in Brain Jack, by Brian Falkner. In Sam's world, being addicted to computer gaming has moved from the basement to gaming lounges. There are individuals who spend their entire days hooked to gaming systems and do nothing else. This book begs the question ...is this a possible future?
Sam likes to hack into systems for fun and to see if he can shut them down and then get out without his identity being detected. One day he decides to disrupt the structure of one of the country's largest telecommunications systems. He is able to move through the system undetected for a while using his computer hacking skills. However, unusual activity is noted by the web security team working for the large company. Sam realizes that he has been spotted and decides to get out quickly. There is a flurry of activity that follows as Sam scrambles to finish the job and remove any evidence that could link this security breach back to him.