Regional Subject Guide
Here are links to official web sites for local and state government, colleges and universities, businesses and attractions, news, parks, transportation, and other state resources.
- Spotsylvania County
- Stafford County
- Westmoreland County
- Caroline County
- King George County
- Virginia State Legislature
Contact Information for Local Elected Officials
- University of Mary Washington - Four-year state university located in Fredericksburg, Virginia. CRRL patrons may request Mary Washington books via Inter Library Loan.
- NOVA - the Northern Virginia Community College Home Page.
- Germanna Community College serves Orange County as well as the City of Fredericksburg and the counties of Caroline, Culpeper, King George, Madison, Spotsylvania, and Stafford.
Strayer University - Four-year university with campuses in Fredericksburg and the D.C. metropolitan area.
- Fredericksburg regional visitor center
- Fredericksburg Agricultural Fair - Find out what's happening at the Fair!
- Virginia is for Business - Virginia Economic Development Partnership
- Stafford County, Virginia - Stafford Tourism & Economic Development Information
- Stafford Business Exchange - membership-based organization to maintain the highest quality of services and promote professional relationships.
- Spotsylvania, Virginia: Prosperity, Incorporated - Economic development site for the county of Spotsylvania.
- Spotsylvania Preservation Foundation - established to help preserve and protect Spotsylvania County's natural and historic resources.
- Spotsylvania Mall
- Movie Theaters and Showtimes
- Fredericksburg Guidebook - selected listing of area restaurants, attractions, and services.
- Historic Fredericksburg - sponsored by Downtown Retail Marketing, Inc.
- Simply Fredericksburg
- George Washington Birthplace National Monument
- Fredericksburg & Spotsylvania Nat. Military Park
- Fredericksburg Festival of the Arts
- Fredericksburg Regional Chamber of Commerce
Area Museums and Historic Houses
- The Free Lance-Star - award-winning local newspaper
- Stafford County Sun and Potomac News Web site for regional news
- B101.5 FM - local radio station with classic popular music includes community calendar for listening area. Site works best viewed in Internet Explorer.
WFLS - Virginia's best country radio station
Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park
On-line visitor center. Has information on the battles of Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania Court House, Chancellorsville and Wilderness.
Fredericksburg Parks and Recreation
Fredericksburg's parks combine the historic and cultural elements of the town with outdoor fun. Enjoy exercise trails at Alum Springs, the farmers' market and occasional festivals at Hurkamp Park, and boating and fishing at Mott's Run Reservoir. Several parks have playgrounds and picnic shelters.
Activities brochures are available online, and online sign-up is available for some classes.
George Washington Birthplace National Monument
Serenity bests describes this National Park Service property located within an easy drive of the Fredericksburg area on beautiful Popes Creek in Westmoreland County. The 550-acre park offers a reconstruction of a colonial house and a working farm. Knowledgeable costumed interpreters demonstrate skills used to tend an 18th century household. Wildlife is abundant, and you may enjoy their nature trail and picnic area while reveling in history at a bargain price.
Splashdown Waterpark and Waterworks Waterpark
Both water parks in Prince William County offer wet fun for the family. Waterworks has more of a kids’ emphasis and a lower price. Both parks are managed by the Prince William County Parks Authority and feature extras to make your day in the sun more relaxing such as safety staff, lockers, full-service concessions and shade pavilions.
Spotsylvania County Parks and Recreation
Hike and swim the summer away in one of Spotsylvania's great parks. Some parks have fields for football, soccer, baseball, and softball as well as tennis and basketball courts and playgrounds.
Program listings are available online.
Stafford County Parks and Recreation
Find places to fish, swim, picnic and enjoy sports in Stafford County. Their activities brochure is available online.
Virginia State Parks
Links to information on dozens of Virginia parks. A general map shows park locations throughout the state. Includes online brochures on outdoor activities.
Westmoreland County Parks and Recreation
The department offers activities for all ages, from adult basketball and aerobics to Little League baseball, Red Cross babysitting certification, toddler playtime, and quilting. Sign up for special day and weekend tours.
Westmoreland State Park
They've got a new and beautiful beach trail, kayaking for beginners (including instruction!), a swimming pool, fishing and boating, and well-equipped cabins with air-conditioning and heat to rent-- these can be reserved online.
A Guide for Area Commuters - Do you want a kinder, gentler commute? Read this article by CRRL librarian Virginia Johnson about commuting options.
Buses and Trains
- FREDericksburg Regional Transit - Bus service for Fredericksburg and surrounding localities.
- Greyhound Bus Lines - Buses make many local stops and are another way for people to meet their long distance transportation needs. Click here for information on the Fredericksburg bus stop.
Virginia Railway Express- includes timetable, price guides, and other information about the VRE service.
- Bumbrey's Cab 373-6111
Virginia and Hilldrup Taxi 373-8294 or 373-8555
The closest large airports are:
- Area Airports - includes links to Stafford Regional and Shannon Airports, as well as major airports in DC, Baltimore, and Richmond.
Richmond International Airport
Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport
Washington Dulles International Airport
Van/Limo Service to DC Airports
According to the University of Mary Washington's Web site, VAN/LIMO service to DC area airports is available for a wide range of prices beginning at $55. Limousine contact numbers include: *ChopChop Shuttle, 703-906-6939; *Stafford Shuttle 286-0093 *Horizon Limo, 703-441-0197; *Fredericksburg Limo Service, 540-899-6150 or 888-318-5529; *Fantasy Limo Service, 800-736-5466.