Did you know?
- She's known as Jo to her friends. No one's called her Joanne since she was a child, and only then if she was being naughty.
- Rowling is pronounced "rolling."
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone was first published in England as Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
- Hermoine IS based on a real person-- J.K. Rowling!
- The fantastic Ford Anglia featured in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is similar to one owned by Sean Harris, her best friend at Wyedean School.
She was born in Chipping Sodbury, England on July 31, 1965. She loved to tell stories about rabbits to her younger sister, Di. When she was still young, she and her family moved to Winterbourne where two of her good friends were named Potter. A little later on, they moved out to the countryside, to the Forest of Dean. Her London-born parents had always wanted to move to the country, and Di and Jo (Jo is short for Joanne) enjoyed roaming the fields and along by the rivers there.