Through a partnership with the Library of Virginia, we now offer Zinio for Libraries, a free eMagazine service from Recorded Books (RBdigital) and Zinio.com.
You have access to full digital copies of nearly 200 popular magazines! Browse from our collection of popular titles with no holds, no checkout periods, and no limit to the number of magazines you can checkout.
Back issues are available through May 2013.
- Current Issues - New issues are released at the same time as the print edition and are ready for immediate download.
- Easy browsing - Search for your favorite magazines by title or category.
- Manage your collection - Checkout and read magazines instantly on your computer (PC or Mac), or access magazines on your portable device. (Note: Viewing options, including the ability to download or view the content while online, may differ based on the device and/or magazine publisher).
- No checkout limits - Check out as many issues as you want and keep them in your account as long as you wish.
Getting Started: Create Your RBdigital Gateway and Zinio.com Accounts:
You must create two accounts to checkout and read Zinio magazines:
1. Create your RBdigital Gateway account:
CRRL's RBdigital web site is where you will browse and checkout CRRL's Zinio magazines, and where you will return to get new issues. You can not read magazines on this web site.
Follow these steps to create your RBdigital Gateway account.
- Go to our RBdigital Gateway site: www.rbdigital.com/centralrappahannockva
- Click or tap on Create New Account (top right). When prompted, enter your Library Barcode and click or tap Next.
- On the next screen, enter your name, email address and create a password, then click or tap Create Account.
- Your account is now active, and you are logged in.
- You will receive a welcome email with the subject line "Welcome to Central Rappahannock Regional Library RBdigital Gateway." If you don't receive an email within a few minutes, check your spam folder.
- Bookmark www.rbdigital.com/centralrappahannockva on your desktop or mobile device for easy access.
2. Create your Zinio.com account:
You will use your Zinio.com account to read your magazines and to deliver magazines to the Zinio Reader app. You cannot get new magazines from the library at Zinio.com.
- Go to Zinio.com
- Click or tap on Register (top right).
- Enter your email address & password to create a free Zinio.com account. You MUST use the same email adress you used to create your RBdigital Gateway account (above).
- You will be logged in and directed to Your Reading List where you will see the title you checked out. Click or tap on the magazine cover to view the magazine.
- Click or tap on the arrow by your name in the top right, then select Account Settings - Preferences in order to manage email communication from Zinio.
- You will also receive an email from Zinio letting you know your magazine is now available.
*Note: Zinio.com is a commercial site and it is possible to purchase magazines subscriptions here. Only magazines selected on the library’s RBdigital Gateway web site (www.rbdigital.com/centralrappahannockva) are available for free checkout. If you are prompted to pay for access to a title, simply return to our RBdigital web site to browse the library's collection and check out magazines. If you already purchase magazine subscriptions on Zinio.com, you can view both your paid subscriptions and the library's free magazines from your exisiting Zinio account.
3. Checkout an eMagazine:
- Go to www.rbdigital.com/centralrappahannockva and log in.
- Select the magazine of your choice.
- You will see a Complete Your Checkout pop-up box. Click or tap Complete Checkout to read the magazine on Zinio.com.
- You will be directed to Your Reading List on Zinio.com. You can then click on the cover to view the magazine online in your browser, or you can open the magazine in the Zinio Reader app where you can download it for offline reading.
- When on the Zinio site, you can always click or tap on Your Library to get to your library magazines. Clicking or tapping on Read Articles and Shop Magazines directs you to Zinio's commercial site.
Be aware that Zinio may add some free titles to Your Reading List automatically, but you can remove these by editing your list.
- Repeat to checkout multiple magazines.
You can access Zinio magazines using a Windows or Mac computer, as well as a wide variety of Apple iOS, Android, Blackberry and Windows phones, tablets, and mobile devices, including the Kindle Fire and Nook HD/HD+, using a free Zinio Reader app! Use your Zinio.com login to register the app on your device.
- The Zinio Reader app can only be used to read your magazines. Browsing the collection and subscribing to magazines must be done using a web browser (Firefox, Chrome, IE, Safari) on a computer or smart device.
- The Zinio app unfortunately does not work with dedicated ereaders such as the Nook SImple Touch, Nook Color, Kindle Touch, or older Kindle models.
Questions? See the FAQs or contact a CRRL Librarian.