Customer Services Clerk
POSITION: Clerk (Clerk I)
DEPARTMENT: Customer Services
SUPERVISOR: Customer Services Department Head
SCHEDULE REQUIREMENTS: If a position, then also includes one night per week plus one Saturday per month.
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES: Provides access to library materials for customers of all ages.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES: Delivers exceptional customer service by ensuring all library customers have a positive experience.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Welcome all customers as they enter the branch or your area.
- Assist customers at the Express Checkout stations in a welcoming, friendly and efficient manner, allowing for flexibility whenever possible. Check out customer materials as needed.
- Address customer issues and concerns, including fines and current blocks, with flexibility to ensure a positive library experience and repeat customers. Direct issues and concerns to supervisor/s on duty when necessary.
- Effectively troubleshoot printer, copier, fax, and computer issues and, as needed, assist customers with completion of their printing and faxing needs at every visit.
- Check in library materials efficiently and accurately, routing problem materials to appropriate person and department as needed.
- Register new customers for library cards, and update library records as needed.
- Answer directional questions or those specific to Customer Services. If needed, refer customers to appropriate service desk or point of contact at first attempt.
- Maintain cleanliness and tidiness of all public use areas and service desks of the library, including around computers, fax machines and printers.
- Answer and direct all incoming phone calls in a welcoming, friendly and efficient manner, as needed.
- Place items on hold for a customer if requested. Direct the customer to the appropriate service desk for research assistance.
- Other duties as assigned.
GENERAL QUALIFICATIONS: High school diploma or GED required. Strong customer service orientation, excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills required. Knowledge of Horizon preferred.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Requires work that involves walking or standing, bending and stooping; and involves exerting up to 30 pounds of force on a regular and recurring basis to lift and/or move library materials. Ability to sit or stand at a desk and/or computer for extended hours, read computer screens and use computer keyboards.
SPECIAL TRAINING/KNOWLEDGE: Knowledge of Google Apps, computer hardware and peripherals required. Strong interpersonal skills to develop and maintain cooperative and productive relationships with staff, and the general public.
NOTE: I understand that this job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work involved for this job. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" relationship.