Human Resources Manager
POSITION: Human Resources Manager (Library Assistant IV)
SUPERVISOR: Deputy Director
SUPERVISES: Human Resources Assistant (full-time)
SCHEDULE REQUIREMENTS: Occasional evenings and weekends may be required to accommodate community meetings and special events.
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
Apply: Submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com, opens a new window
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES: Builds, enhances and maintains all human resources activities including policies, programs and procedures.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES: Leads CRRL in building, developing and maintaining a cohesive staff that provides excellent customer service internally and externally every day.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responds to written and verbal inquiries from a variety of internal and external sources for the purpose of providing information and referrals, identifying relevant issues, resolving problems and recommending solutions. Serves as communication liaison between managers and Administration and facilitates communication between managers and staff as needed.
- Coaches, educates and directs managers system-wide in the delivery of all aspects of HR activities around CRRL policies, procedures and practices ensuring compliance. Fosters leadership and maintains cooperative and productive relationships with managers.
- Coaches and educates staff system-wide on CRRL policies, procedures and practices ensuring understanding. Serves as a liaison between staff, their colleagues and their managers, as needed, investigating and addressing any complaints and concerns. Endeavors to enhance and encourage positive employer-employee relationships, motivation and retention. Maintains cooperative and productive relationships with staff.
- Works closely with the Deputy Director on employee supervision, selection, training, and evaluation to create a collaborative, high-performance workplace culture. Collaborates with Accounting Department and Library Planner on joint initiatives and endeavors. Brings to the Administrative Team a staff-focused and compliance perspective on organization-wide development efforts, long-range planning, practice and policy enhancements and special projects.
- Works closely with the Human Resources Assistant to ensure that CRRL is attracting, engaging, retaining and developing the best talent by advising on the recruitment, selection, orientation, and training of new employees.
- Stays up-to-date on employment laws, risk management and in the fields of human resources, and informed on trends and issues affecting employers and their employees; advises on organizational development, structure and personnel.
- Recommends appropriate HR policies, procedures and practices including, but not limited to, effective staff management, hiring, training and development, performance management and evaluation, employee relationships and concerns. Ensures that all HR activities are in compliance with state and federal laws, regulations and ordinances.
- Assesses employees skills and needs for training and professional development, and coordinates the development, implementation and scheduling of all CRRL training, staff workshops and professional development, both in-house and external, for staff. Works closely with Deputy Director, Coordinators, Human Resources Assistant on implementation.
- Works closely with the Human Resources Assistant on the employee performance evaluations. Works with Deputy Director, Coordinators and Managers to identify staff regarding additional training and development for key contributor and management positions to prepare employees for more-significant responsibilities and for succession planning.
- Other Duties as Assigned
- College graduation plus three years of human resources experience required.
- Supervisory experience required.
- Strong customer service orientation and ability to relate to diverse workforce required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal and management skills, and leadership ability required.
- Detail-oriented, flexible work habits, and ability to relate to staff at all levels, relationship and team building.
- Experience in conflict resolution; an excellent facilitator and demonstrated ability to handle confidential materials and maintain confidentiality.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Requires work that involves walking or standing, bending and stooping; and involves exerting up to 30 pounds of force on a regular and recurring basis to lift and/or move library materials. Ability to sit or stand at a desk and/or computer for extended hours, read computer screens and use computer keyboards. Requires a valid VA driver’s license and the ability to drive.
SPECIAL TRAINING/KNOWLEDGE: Knowledge of Google Apps, computer hardware and peripherals required. Current SHRM certification required. Knowledge of administrative and personnel management methods and techniques, employee benefits and applicable laws and regulations required. Experience in managing multiple priorities, meeting ongoing deadlines and leadership required. Experience with successful evaluation, measurement and accountability practices. Skill in leading and guiding individuals and teams, and creating a culture of trust, collaboration, creative problem solving and adaptive thinking. Ability to use positive energy, excellent communication skills, cultural sensitivity and a sense of humor to develop workplace relationships and negotiate and handle stressful situations in a positive manner.