Human Resources Specialist
POSITION: Human Resources Specialist (Library Assistant III)
SUPERVISOR: Human Resources Manager
SCHEDULE REQUIREMENTS: Occasional evenings and weekends may be required to accommodate community meetings and special events.
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES: Works independently and with the Human Resources Manager to perform complex and specialized administrative tasks and services to enhance and maintain an effective and efficient human resources operations.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES: Provides exemplary customer service to internal and external customers while maintaining the highest standards of accuracy, timeliness, and compliance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Facilitates hiring, onboarding and offboarding process by preparing necessary documents including, but not limited to job postings, new hires and terminations. Posts jobs on appropriate websites and coordinates all scheduling related to the new hire process. Initiates the onboarding and offboarding processes, ensuring accuracy and completion. Maintains information in the payroll system and insurance databases including, but not limited to new hires, terminations and company property.
- Responds to and documents written and verbal inquiries from a variety of internal and external sources for the purpose of providing employment verifications, information and referrals, identifying relevant issues, resolving problems and recommending solutions.
- Coordinates and maintains all employee benefits, including FMLA, educating staff on available options and, as needed, serves as a liaison facilitating communication between employees and benefit providers ensuring compliance. Acts as the first point of contact with external partners, such as insurance vendors.
- Works with Deputy Director, Human Resources Manager and Coordinators on development, implementation and scheduling of all CRRL training, staff workshops and continuing education and professional development, for both new hires and current staff.
- Facilitates and schedules additional training and development for key contributor and management positions to prepare employees for more-significant responsibilities and for succession planning. Coordinates and facilitates employee mentoring program.
- Organizes and maintains personnel records, enters new hire data, and updates any previous employees’ data; ensures completion and compliance as well as the accuracy of details. Performs periodic audits of files and records including, but not limited to I-9 audits, and other compliance reviews.
- Recommends and develops progressive and proactive wellness programs, such as staff screening and vaccine clinics, and health and nutrition information to provide for the short-term and long-range health and welfare of employees.
- Works with Human Resources Manager to develop and maintain an effective employee performance evaluation program and coordinates it system-wide. Recommends and develops progressive and proactive employee motivation programs, such as incentives, and rewards for outstanding performance.
- Other Duties as Assigned.
GENERAL QUALIFICATIONS: College graduation plus two (2) years of experience in a Human Resources role preferred. Detail oriented, organized and able to work accurately under general supervision required. Strong customer service orientation and the ability to relate to a diverse workforce required. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, and leadership ability required. Demonstrated ability to handle confidential materials with tact, professionalism and diplomacy and to maintain confidentiality required.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Requires work that involves walking or standing, bending and stooping; and involves exerting up to 30 pounds of force on a regular and recurring basis to lift and/or move library materials. Ability to sit or stand at a desk and/or computer for extended hours, read computer screens and use computer keyboards. Requires a valid VA driver’s license and the ability to drive.
SPECIAL TRAINING/KNOWLEDGE: Knowledge of Google Apps, computer hardware and peripherals required. Working knowledge of labor laws and compliance standards, such as ADA and FMLA preferred. Strong organizational and administrative skills, with the ability to prioritize certain tasks and projects appropriately while meeting ongoing deadlines required. Ability to work independently and/or with a team; and the ability to coordinate multiple departments on a project. Great problem-solving and analytical skills to manage daily administrative tasks. Ability to use positive energy, excellent communication skills, and cultural sensitivity to develop workplace relationships and negotiate and handle stressful situations in a positive manner.
NOTE: I understand that this job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work involved for this job. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" relationship.