POSITION: Law Specialist (Library Assistant II)
DEPARTMENT: Adult Services
SUPERVISOR: Research Department Head, Fredericksburg Branch
SCHEDULE REQUIREMENTS: Approximately half of position hours are on desk, including one night per week plus one Saturday per month. Schedule flexibility including occasional evenings and weekends will be required to accommodate community events or meetings and special classes.
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES: Member of the adult services team with a primary focus on the promotion and development of legal resources and the Law Library collection.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES: Delivers exceptional legal instruction, develops a dynamic law collection and provides law-related educational classes.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plan and deliver educational classes and workshops for staff, lawyers and laymen on the Law Library resources including instructor-directed and self-directed learning throughout the system.
- Plan and deliver outreach to community groups, focusing on the Law Library resources including database instruction and promotion, special classes and events, and attendance at community outreach events.
- Work with the Collection Services Department to build and maintain the Law Library collection; maintain communication regarding the collection with the Research Department Head.
- Develop and maintain cooperative and productive relationships with local legal groups and agencies. Seek out and work with supervisor to schedule opportunities for outreach presentations and partnerships.
- Develop and maintain relationships with customers by providing exceptional service, and addressing and/or directing customer issues and concerns with flexibility to ensure a positive library experience.
- Deliver research services to all ages, but especially adults, utilizing both print and electronic resources; utilize and recommend CRRL online research tools and services.
- Contribute to and maintain a productive and cooperative working environment with all staff; maintain communication with their supervisor.
- Assist with other duties as necessary.
GENERAL QUALIFICATIONS: A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university required. A legal research certificate, or paralegal associates degree, or an advanced law degree from an accredited college or university is required. Public library experience preferred. Strong customer service orientation. Good communication skills, flexible work habits, and ability to relate to adults of all ages, and fellow staff.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Requires work that involves walking or standing, bending and stooping; and involves exerting up to 30 pounds of force on a regular and recurring basis to lift and/or move library materials. Ability to sit or stand at a desk and/or computer for extended hours, read computer screens and use computer keyboards. Requires a valid VA driver’s license and the ability to drive.
SPECIAL TRAINING/KNOWLEDGE: Knowledge of Google Apps, computer hardware and peripherals, and Thomson Reuters Westlaw required.
NOTE: I understand that this job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work involved for this job. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" relationship.