Librarian - Teen Specialist
POSITION: Librarian - Teen Specialist (Librarian I)
DEPARTMENT: Youth Services
SUPERVISOR: Youth Services Department Head
SCHEDULE REQUIREMENTS: Approximately 15-20 desk hours a week, including one night per week plus one Saturday per month. Schedule flexibility including occasional evenings and weekends will be required to accommodate community events or meetings and special classes.
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
Apply: Submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, opens a new window
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES: Delivers readers’ advisory, research instruction and educational classes and events to teens, children and their caregivers.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES: Leadership position for teen services, implements collection management, assists with library promotion through text and displays.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plan and deliver educational classes and events for students in grades 6 through 12, including instructor-directed and student-directed learning.
- Plan and deliver outreach to schools and community groups including but not limited to storytelling, summer reading promotion, and attendance at community outreach events.
- Plan and deliver early literacy instruction to children ages birth to five and their caregivers in accordance with CRRL guidelines and incorporating ALA’s Every Child Ready to Read. As needed, plans and delivers classes and events for students in Kindergarten through grade 6.
- Deliver readers’ advisory to teens and their caregivers; stay current in the field of teen literature and regularly read from the collection. Assist in compiling bibliographies for print and web.
- Deliver research and homework instruction to children, teens and their caregivers, utilizing both print and electronic resources; utilize and recommend CRRL online research tools and services.
- Work closely with the Youth Services Department Head and serve as the primary contact and lead for teen services within the branch; maintain communication with manager and staff as needed.
- Assist with promotion of library classes, events and services through planning forms, graphic requests, and website articles. Take a leadership role within the branch in ongoing system-wide initiatives such as social media and emerging technologies.
- Implement collection management procedures for young adult collections, in accordance with CRRL collection evaluation plan.
- Plan, maintain and frequently update attractive, and seasonally-appropriate displays of materials as well as promotional materials for library classes and events.
- Oversee selection of educator curriculum materials for our classroom carryout service; communicate with teachers regarding their requests.
- Assist with other duties as necessary.
GENERAL QUALIFICATIONS: A MLS or MLIS from an ALA-accredited college or university is required; emphasis on children and teen services preferred. Strong customer service orientation. Good communication skills, flexible work habits, and ability to relate to young people, their caregivers, and fellow staff. Experience working with at-risk youth preferred.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Requires work that involves walking or standing, bending and stooping; and involves exerting up to 30 pounds of force on a regular and recurring basis to lift and/or move library materials. Ability to sit or stand at a desk and/or computer for extended hours, read computer screens and use computer keyboards. Requires a valid VA driver’s license and the ability to drive.
SPECIAL TRAINING/KNOWLEDGE: Programming experience with children and teens in a public library setting preferred. Knowledge of American Library Association’s Every Child Ready to Read and children’s and teen literature desired. Experience in managing multiple priorities, meeting ongoing deadlines and leadership preferred. Basic knowledge of computer hardware and peripherals; digital literacy skills including proficiency in internet research and familiarity with a variety of programs and apps.
NOTE: I understand that this job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work involved for this job. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" relationship.