LIBRARY ASSISTANT Substitutes
POSITION: Library Assistant (Library Assistant II)
DEPARTMENT: Adult and Youth Services
SUPERVISOR: Towne Centre Branch Manager, the acting Manager for Joint Use at the Fried Center or the Department Head at all other locations.
SCHEDULE REQUIREMENTS: Primarily desk-only shifts during all open hours. If a position of 20 hours or more, then also includes one night per week plus one Saturday per month.
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES: Member of the branch team connecting with customers primarily on a combined Adult and Youth Services desk.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES: Delivers exceptional readers’ advisory and research instruction to all ages from birth to senior citizens.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and maintain relationships with customers by providing exceptional service, and addressing and/or directing customer issues and concerns with flexibility to ensure a positive library experience.
- Deliver readers’ advisory to all ages; stay current in the field of literature and regularly read from the collection. Assist in compiling bibliographies for print and web.
- Deliver research and homework instruction to all ages, utilizing both print and electronic resources; utilize and recommend CRRL online research tools and services.
- Address customer issues and concerns in Horizon, including fines and current blocks, with flexibility to ensure a positive library experience. Address customer Horizon issues and concerns when necessary.
- Effectively troubleshoot printer, copier, fax, and computer issues and, as needed, assist customers with completion of their printing and faxing needs at every visit.
- Assist customers with Google Apps and using Microsoft applications on a Chromebox, as needed. Provide general and one-on-one computer assistance including, but not limited to searching, completing electronic applications, and using library online resources.
- Assist customers with downloading and troubleshooting digital media including eBooks, eAudio, and eMagazines.
- Maintain cleanliness and tidiness of all public use areas and service desks of the library, including around computers, fax machines and printers.
- As required: Assist with library tours for schools and other groups. Plan and deliver outreach to schools and community groups including technology instruction, database and service promotion, and attendance at community outreach events.
- Assist with other duties as necessary.
GENERAL QUALIFICATIONS: A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is required. Strong customer service orientation. Good communication and interpersonal skills, flexible work habits, and ability to relate to young people, their caregivers, adults of all ages and fellow staff.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Requires work that involves walking or standing, bending and stooping; and involves exerting up to 30 pounds of force on a regular and recurring basis to lift and/or move library materials. Ability to sit or stand at a desk and/or computer for extended hours, read computer screens and use computer keyboards. Requires a valid VA driver’s license and the ability to drive.
SPECIAL TRAINING/KNOWLEDGE: CRRL training as both an Adult and Youth Services Library Assistant required and as a Customer Services sub preferred. Knowledge of Google Apps, computer hardware and peripherals required.
NOTE: I understand that this job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work involved for this job. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" relationship.