POSITION: Security Officer (Library Clerk II)
SUPERVISOR: Branch Manager
SCHEDULE REQUIREMENTS: Includes evenings and/or weekends
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES: Monitor conduct, prevent loss of property, and enforce CRRL’s rules and policies with a non-threatening, authoritative presence.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES: Maintain a safe and secure environment for library customers and staff while promoting a positive library atmosphere and building community rapport.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Handle security issues in a non-confrontational, professional manner.
- Patrol interior & exterior of building, hourly at a minimum.
- Maintain contact with department staff throughout each shift.
- Communicate, apply, and follow library policies and procedures with customers, staff, and supervisors.
- Effectively troubleshoot printer, copier, fax, and computer issues and, as needed, assist customers with completion of their printing and faxing needs.
- Communicate issues and concerns through proper channels.
- Report incidents immediately using appropriate forms and procedures.
- Assist customers at the Express Checkout stations in a welcoming, friendly and efficient manner, allowing for flexibility whenever possible. Check out customer materials as needed.
- Maintain cleanliness and tidiness of all public use areas and service desks of the library, including around computers, fax machines and printers.
- Other duties as assigned.
GENERAL QUALIFICATIONS: High school diploma or GED required, or commensurate work experience. Security or law enforcement experience desired. Strong customer service orientation. Good communication skills, flexible work habits, and ability to relate to all ages. Skills in de-escalation and positive communication. Ability to exercise quick and mature judgement in dealing with customers and emergencies. Background check required.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Requires work that involves walking or standing, bending and stooping; and involves exerting up to 30 pounds of force on a regular and recurring basis to lift and/or move library materials. Ability to sit or stand at a desk and/or computer for extended hours, read computer screens and use computer keyboards.
SPECIAL TRAINING/KNOWLEDGE: Knowledge of computer hardware and peripherals required, including Google Apps.
NOTE: I understand that this job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work involved for this job. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will"