The Porter Branch is getting an exciting new look! Stafford County has contracted for “bookstore”-style shelving for the adult and teen collections, to be installed in July. These wooden shelves are lower and more attractive, allowing materials to be more accessible. Customers will no longer need to climb on a step stool to reach the top shelves! These shelves also provide increased visibility throughout the branch and will allow more natural light to shine through from the beautiful windows at the far end of the building.
It will be easier for customers to find what they’re looking for and will also provide much needed display and promotional shelving for books and other materials. Porter’s updated, contemporary appearance is also more in keeping with the look and atmosphere of the Howell and Salem Church branches.
Another benefit of the project is the ability to move the adult computers to the center of the room. Staff will be able to more readily assist customers and address any computer issues. The wall where the computers currently reside will instead house gorgeous new display shelving.
A project this large will have big impact now—not just in the future! Below is an outline of the anticipated schedule. Our team has developed a plan that has as minimal an impact on the branch as possible. Of course, with any large project, timing is subject to change. Check out our updates on social media for the latest information!
- July 5-9: In order to make way for the beautiful new shelves, the current adult and teen collections need to be packed up. The majority of those materials will be inaccessible, but you can still return materials, pick up holds, access the children’s collections, and browse carts with recently returned materials. There will be some computers available for adults in Meeting Room C. This access will continue throughout the process, except for July 13 and 14.
- July 10-12: The current steel shelving will be removed to be utilized in our Library Administration Center.
- July 13-14: Porter Branch will close to allow three semi-trucks to deliver and unload new shelving. Materials can still be returned at the outside book drop.
- July 15-21: New shelving will be professionally installed.
- July 22-26: Library staff will place the adult and teen collections on the brand new shelves!
During this time, our other branches will be fully operational. Please hold any book, music, or video donations, or take them to one of our other locations.