Branch visits now available by appointment!
Staff have been hard at work preparing branches for safe customer access. And, of course, distributing materials through curbside pickup, which has been very popular and will continue. Customers will not need to enter a branch to pick up materials they have placed on hold.
Our new Library Express service enables us to expand branch access to the public while prioritizing customer and staff safety. Customers can sign up for a 45-minute appointment to browse the collection; check out materials; use computers; and print, copy, scan, and fax. Customers are now also able to return items to our bookdrops 24/7.
Masks covering face and nose, and temperature checks are required, and staff will wear gloves when handling materials. Appointments are limited to 45 minutes, and everyone will be asked to maintain 6 feet physical distance. All customers age 2 and up need an appointment. Eating and drinking are not permitted at this time. For everyone's safety, customers should not visit a branch if they have a fever, symptoms of COVID-19, or known exposure to a COVID-19 case in the preceding 14 days.
To visit a branch, customers can schedule online, or by calling the library at 540-372-1144 or 804-472-3820. Customers can reserve a 45-minute window to browse, use computers, and check out. Starting Monday, October 26, the window will be extended to one hour.
Some library services will not be available at this time:
- Print newspapers and magazines will not be available.
- The library is unable to accept donated materials.
- Notary services will not be available.
- Customers can access the internet through public access computers, but in-branch Chromebooks will not be lent out.
- Meeting spaces, study rooms, and Grow a Reader Learn & Play Rooms will remain closed.
- 3D printers and other MakerLab equipment will not be available.
- Proctoring services will not be available.
Thank you for your patience as we work to expand access and services!
See Response to COVID-19 Coronavirus for more information about current library services.
|Fredericksburg, Howell, Porter, Salem Church, and Snow branches|
|Library Express||Curbside Pickup|
|Towne Centre Branch|
|Library Express & Walk-up Holds Pickup|
|Cooper Branch||Montross Branch||Newton Branch|
|Library Express & Curbside Pickup|
|Mondays 9:00-1:00||Mondays 1:00-5:00||Tuesdays 9:00-1:00|
|Thursdays 1:00-5:00||Fridays 9:00-1:00||Wednesdays 1:00-5:00|
|Saturdays 9:00-1:00||Saturdays 1:00-5:00||Fridays 1:00-5:00|
Here’s how it works:
1. You’ll receive an email once your hold is available for pickup at your branch. You can also check the status of your holds under On Hold in your online account.
2. Head to your branch during your branch’s Curbside Pickup hours.
- Curbside pickup is not available at the Fried Center branch or at the Friends Bookshop at this time.
3. Park in the Curbside Pickup Zone (there will be a sign out front) and text or call the number on the sign. If you don’t use a mobile phone, call us at 540-645-5381 (or 804-224-0921 for Cooper, Montross, or Newton) right before you leave the house and we’ll keep an eye out for your arrival. If each spot in the Zone is full and there’s already a line, please park for a moment until there’s room for one more!
4. Once you’re in the Curbside Pickup Zone and have let us know that you’ve arrived, pop your trunk, or if that’s not possible, roll down a rear window. For your safety and ours, be sure to stay in your vehicle with the doors closed. A staff member wearing a face mask and gloves will check out your materials, bag them, and deliver the bag right to your car!
NOTE: Towne Centre Branch customers will be able to walk up to the entrance of the branch to pick up their holds in person. Curbside service will not be available at the Towne Centre.
Salem Church Branch customers, please follow this traffic pattern for the safest curbside pickup experience!
- From Salem Church Road, turn onto Salem Run Blvd at the stoplight.
- Turn right onto Castlebridge Road (back of shopping area).
- Proceed forward toward Book Drop.
- After Book Drop, turn right into the parking lot to proceed alongside the building.
- At the front of the building, turn left to proceed along the front of the building to the Curbside Pickup Zone.
- After pickup, proceed forward and exit onto Salem Church Road.