While library branches are closed, this service has been temporarily suspended. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Most CRRL locations offer simple notary services to our customers as a free public service. Our notaries staff the research desk and must give priority to customers needing research help, so there could be a wait for notary services. It is best to call ahead to determine if a notary is available.
People seeking notarizations must bring with them their unsigned documents, valid photo identification, and any witnesses required.
Please be aware that CRRL notaries follow these guidelines:
- Notaries may decline to notarize a document if it is prepared in a format unfamiliar to the notary, or they cannot be certain of the identity or mental capacity of the signer.
- Notarizations of wills, deeds, and power of attorney documents will be done solely at the discretion of the notary.
- Our notaries will not notarize documents requiring verification of facts.
- Our notaries do not act as authorized representatives for employers to verify the employment eligibility of employees, including the I-9.
- By law, Virginia notaries are not authorized to certify true copies of birth, death, or marriage certificates or court-issued documents.
- Photo identification should be provided by all signers, even if the signer is “known.” Acceptable forms of ID are: 1) a United States passport, 2) a United States passport card, 3) a certificate of United States citizenship, 4) a certificate of naturalization, 5) a foreign passport, 6) an alien registration card with photograph, 7) a state-issued driver’s license, 8) a state-issued identification card, or 9) a United States military identification card. Photo IDs must be current and written in a language the notary understands. If an ID is not familiar to the notary, the notary has the option to refuse acceptance.
- Notaries may not administer an oath to a non-English speaker.
If we are unable to provide notary services for you, we can supply a list of other notaries in the area.