Making a Notary Services Appointment
Customers may make an appointment to use CRRL's notary services up to 7 days in advance.
Masks are required for those not fully vaccinated.
Most CRRL locations offer simple notary services to our customers as a free public service. Walk-ins may be accommodated if staff availability permits, but this is not guaranteed. Our notaries staff the research desk and must give priority to customers needing research help, so there could be a wait for notary services.
People seeking notarizations must bring with them their unsigned documents, valid photo identification, and any witnesses required.
Please be aware that CRRL notaries follow these guidelines:
- Notaries may decline to notarize a document if it is prepared in a format unfamiliar to the notary, they cannot be certain of the identity or mental capacity of the signer, or for any other reason.
- Our notaries will not notarize documents requiring verification of facts, including wills, quitclaim deeds, and power of attorney.
- Our notaries do not act as authorized representatives for employers to verify the employment eligibility of employees, including the I-9.
- By law, Virginia notaries are not authorized to certify true copies of birth, death, or marriage certificates or court-issued documents.
- Photo identification should be provided by all signers, even if the signer is “known.” Acceptable forms of ID are:
- United States passport
- United States passport card
- Certificate of United States citizenship
- Certificate of naturalization
- Foreign passport
- Alien registration card with photograph
- State-issued driver’s license
- State-issued identification card
- United States military identification card
- Photo IDs must be current and written in a language the notary understands. If an ID is not familiar to the notary, the notary has the option to refuse acceptance.
- Notaries may not administer an oath to a non-English speaker.
- If we are unable to provide notary services for you, we can supply a list of other notaries in the area.
Make an Appointment
Select the branch you plan to visit.