BARD is a service offered by the Library of Congress for the Talking Book members in our community. This free-of-charge program allows patrons to download talking books at home or elsewhere from an extensive collection of titles.
Once you have a digital talking book player from the library and a BARD account, along with a computer and high-speed Internet access, you may download books at no charge. The .zip file of the book can be saved to the computer and "unzipped." Then the files can be moved to a simple "thumb drive,"opens a new window which fits into the right side of the digital player. You can also purchase a blank talking book cartridge. A connector cable is needed to move the unzipped files from the computer to the talking book cartridge.
You can also download BARD Expressopens a new window which will cut out some of the steps above.
A free BARD Mobile app is also available for Androidopens a new window and Appleopens a new window and Kindleopens a new window devices. With the app, you will be able to play them on your smartphone or tablet and keep them as long as you want.
A Talking Books customer has access to:
- The NLS nationwide collection of over 100,000 titles
- Magazines in audio or large print format.
- Over 5000 large print books
- Descriptive videos.opens a new window
- Over 13,000 Braille books can be shipped from Richmond.
- Braille by request. If you need a document for school, church, or business use, we are happy to perform this service. Please contact Access Servicesopens a new window at 540-372-1144, ext. 7054 or email@example.com a new window, to arrange for printing two weeks in advance of your deadline.