Civil War - U.S.
- From the Central Rappahannock Regional Library
- Battle of the Ironclads: The Monitor and the Merrimack by Alden R. Carter.
- This book for elementary school students examines the construction, battles, and technological and historical impact of the Civil War battleships, the Monitor and the Virginia (Merrimack).
- C.S.S. Virginia: Mistress of Hampton Roads by John V. Quarstein.
- A lengthy account of the naval battle. Available to read in the Virginiana Room.
Part of the Virginia Regimental Histories series.
- Duel Between the First Ironclads by William C. Davis.
- The author weaves fascinating personal and historical detail into his narrative.
Also available as an eBook. Click here for more information on this collection.
- Duel of the Ironclads: The Monitor vs. the Virginia by Patrick O'Brien.
- A short book (36 pages) that is appropriate for elementary students who are just beginning to develop a taste for history.
By Dr. John Coski
Director of the Library and Research at the Museum of the Confederacy
***Coski, John M. "Battle Flag: A Brief History of America's Most Controversial Symbol." North & South. vol. 4, no. 7 (September 2001): 48-61.
**Coski, John M. "The Confederate Battle Flag in American History and Culture: A Photograph Essay." Southern Cultures. vol II, no. 2 (1996)