Central Rappahannock Regional Library is dedicated to providing enriching educational opportunities for our community.
Our MakerLabs are STEM exploration spaces for customers of all ages to enjoy hands-on learning with a variety of high and low-tech equipment and activities. Thanks to a generous partnership with the University of Mary Washington, library staff, volunteers and university students teach customers of all ages about aspects of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) through demonstrations and hands-on activities, including a 3-D printer, paper rocket launcher, robot arms, Ozobots, and much more. There are usually 2-3 activities available during any given MakerLab session.
If you have any questions about the MakerLabs or would like to schedule a group visit, please contact Joy McIntire, Branch Services Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Locations and Hours of MakerLabs
See all MakerLab events hereopens a new window.
Fredericksburg Branch, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 3:30-5:30
1201 Caroline Street, Fredericksburg, Virginia 22401
Canceled: December 25 & 27, January 1
Howell Branch, Mondays and Wednesdays, 3:30-5:30
806 Lyons Boulevard, Stafford, Virginia 22406
Canceled: December 24 & 31, January 21, February 18
Porter Branch, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 3:30-5:30
2001 Parkway Boulevard, Stafford, Virginia 22554
Canceled: December 25 & 27, January 1 & 3
Salem Church Branch, Fridays 3:30-5:30, Saturdays, 10:00-12:00
2607 Salem Church Road, Fredericksburg, Virginia 22407
Canceled: December 22 & 29, January 19, February 16
NEW! Mobile MakerLabs
Towne Centre Branch, Fridays, 5:00-7:00
390 Spotsylvania Mall, Fredericksburg Virginia 22407
Canceled: December 28
Fried Center, 1st Saturdays, 2:00-4:00, starting January 5
124 Old Potomac Church Road, Stafford Virginia 22554
Equipment and Software
Apply for a MakerLab badge here.
- Learn hands-on how to use the 3D printer in training sessions offered at the Fredericksburg, Howell, Porter, and Salem Church branches.
- The 3D printer badge requires a minimum of 4 hours of training and successful completion of Levels 1-2. Training sessions are two hours in length.
- Grade 6-Adult.
- Learn how to draw on a UG-2150 drawing tablet equipped with a pressure sensitive pen and a wide variety of creative tools.
- NEW! One hour training session offered at Fredericksburg, Howell, Porter, and Salem Church branches.
- Grade 6-Adult.
- Learn how to run and use the basic features of the Janome My Style 100 sewing machine at the Fredericksburg, Howell, Porter, and Salem Church branches.
- The Sewing Machine badge requires a minimum of 3 hours of training and successful completion of Levels 1-2. Training sessions are 90 minutes in length.
- Grade 9-Adult.
NEW! 3D Scanner badge
- Learn the basic functions of the MakerBot Digitizer Scanner and scan an object multiple times, turning it into a 3D printable file.
- Requires successful completion of the 3D printer badge beforehand.
- One hour training session offered at the Fredericksburg, Howell, Porter, and Salem Church branches.
- Grade 6 - Adult.
Earning these badges allows you to reserve the drawing tablet, sewing machine, 3D printer, or 3D scanner to build your own projects in the MakerLab. In exchange for use of the machine in the lab, you agree to also share information about your project with curious customers.