Central Rappahannock Regional Library is dedicated to providing enriching educational opportunities for our community.
Our MakerLabs are STEM exploration spaces for customers of all ages to enjoy hands-on learning with a variety of high and low-tech equipment and activities. Thanks to a generous partnership with the University of Mary Washington, library staff, volunteers and university students teach customers of all ages about aspects of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) through demonstrations and hands-on activities, including a 3-D printer, paper rocket launcher, robot arms, Ozobots, and much more. There are usually 2-3 activities available during any given MakerLab session.
If you have any questions about the MakerLabs or would like to schedule a group visit, please contact Joy McIntire, Branch Services Coordinator, at email@example.com.
Locations and Hours of MakerLabs
Fredericksburg Branch, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 3:30-5:30
1201 Caroline Street, Fredericksburg, Virginia 22401
Howell Branch, Mondays and Wednesdays, 3:30-5:30
806 Lyons Boulevard, Stafford, Virginia 22406
Porter Branch, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 3:30-5:30
2001 Parkway Boulevard, Stafford, Virginia 22554
Salem Church Branch, Fridays 3:30-5:30
2607 Salem Church Road, Fredericksburg, Virginia 22407
Schedules subject to change - calls at 540-372-1144 to check if the MakerLabs are running on the days above.
Equipment and Software
Apply for a MakerLab badge here.
3D printer badge
- Learn hands-on how to use the 3D printer in training sessions offered at the Fredericksburg, Howell, Porter, and Salem Church branches.
- The 3D printer badge requires a minimum of 4 hours of training and successful completion of Levels 1-2. Training sessions are two hours in length.
- Grade 6-Adult.
Drawing Tablet badge
- Learn how to draw on a UG-2150 drawing tablet equipped with a pressure sensitive pen and a wide variety of creative tools.
- One hour training session offered at the Howell Branch.
- Grade 6-Adult.
- Learn how to run and use the basic features of the Janome My Style 100 sewing machine at the Fredericksburg, Howell, Porter, and Salem Church branches.
- The Sewing Machine badge requires a minimum of 3 hours of training and successful completion of Levels 1-2. Training sessions are 90 minutes in length.
- Grade 9-Adult.
Earning these badges allows you to reserve the sewing machine (Howell Branch only) or 3D printer to build your own projects in the MakerLab. In exchange for use of the machine in the lab, you agree to also share information about your project with curious customers.